Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The ER, Clinic, Cuties, & a Wish!

Last Tuesday Oct 12th at 10:00 PM I took Carson up to the ER with a fever and a cough. Carson's counts were great so he started antibiotics, fluid, and we were sent home. YAY! His cough has gotten better, and he has had no sign of the fever since Saturday night.

Carson had Clinic yesterday, he was due for his monthly dose of IV Vincristine. He was also given more antibiotics for that recent fever & cough that has been lingering. Clinic went well, his counts all came back great! In fact too great so they will be increasing his oral chemo.. yuck! Carson never complains to go up to Clinic or the ER any more..in fact it has been that way for a quite a while now. He is such a cute kid, he just knows.. he knows it is just something he has to do. Three years old and that's just what you do.. you go to the hospital now and then.. You go in and you get to play with some toys, they weigh you, measure you, take your temperature and blood pressure. The Doctor listens to you breathe, he evaluates you in lots of different ways, you allow him to do all of it with very little complaints. You hold very still, you try not to look... and then they poke you. Then they give you some yucky medicine. And that's that... It's the norm. Another day another treatment.

Carson has been so lucky to have and met so many cute friends that are just like him! Cute friends that have ports & broviacs. Some of your friends are bald and some have hair. Friends that know all about Clinic, RTU, ICS, and infusion. These friends are Carson's >>> Cancer Fighting buddies. I started a group on facebook recently..MOMS With CANCER FIGHTING CUTIES! This is a group of friends and Moms that live in Utah who just happen to all have some of the bravest, cutest, strongest kids around. Carson has met some up at PCMC, some through Hopekids, and some through friends. It has been so nice for Carson to know so many other kids just like him. Kids that were never asked to be hero's or fighters. They just are. And for me... nothing has been more helpful & more therapeutic then having the ability to talk to other cancer moms. Moms that you can vent to, cry to, laugh to, that really and truly know exactly how you feel. Being a cancer mom is tough, the worry,the heart ache, the emotional roller coaster, it can all be so overwhelming. So I am so thankful for Facebook and the ability for all of us to find each other. We are over one year into this cancer journey so we are one of the "veteran"s of the group. We hope to help other moms through some of the harder treatments and hope to always be there to listen or help. I love all you Moms and I want you to know that we really do feel a special bond with all of the "cuties" we worry, we celebrate, we fight right along side all of you.

On another note.. we are counting down the days until Carson's Make A Wish Trip.. 15 days in fact!! Disney World, Sea World, & Universal Studios here we come!! We can't wait to see Carson's reaction to all of it. This is one special trip, it is one of a kind & could never be duplicated. Carson will have special treatment all around. He deserves this so much! We are so Excited for him and for his two sisters- who also deserve this so much. We will take lots of pictures and tell you all about it as soon as we get back. Carson will also get a Make a Wish party at the Wish center in Murray. I will post info on the party as soon as the date is set.. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I cant wait to hear all about your trip to Disney World! I am so excited for you guys- you all deserve this SO much!

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for starting that facebook group. It has been SO helpful for me to have other moms I can lean on at times I am scared and don't know what Im doing. The advice I have received on there has been far better than any Doctor or nurse!

    Im sorry about Carson's meds being upped. That stinks. Im praying he will bounce right back and be just as happy as ever! Take care! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked to your blog from Chase. My cousin's little girl was diagnosed with ALL this past summer also. I wanted to make a comment because you guys are going to Disney World.

    My son was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Failure when he was born. He received a Kidney Transplant when he was 2 but that still qualified him for Make A Wish. We had the wonderful opportunity to go on the exact same trip that you guys will be going on. We went in April and it is definitely the trip of a lifetime. Give Kids The World is AWESOME! Make sure that you feed the dolphins at seaworld! The one place we didn't get to but wish we would have gone to is Disney Hollywood Studios. We decided to go to Epcot instead and it is more for adults and the kids would have loved Hollywood Studios more than Epcot. Your girls will have so much fun and they will be given just as much special treatment and your son. You will have so much fun and I wish that we could join you. I LOVE that place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad we all have each other to lean on. Somedays I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have other Cancer Moms to talk with.

    HOORAY FOR MAKE A WISH! You guys are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete