Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Week off.....

Well, we got the results back from Monday's CBC (complete blood count) and his ANC was zero again. Sooo it's good news and bad news. The good news is that he gets a week off from treatment... but we always have mixed feelings about getting a break so the bad news is .. 1. is that this means his body is having a tough time w/ the chemo..which is scary 2. a low ANC count of zero means his body's ability to fight of colds, viruses and infections are strongly compromised at this time and of course this can be very scary as well. 3. We want to get this all over with as quick as possible, so the word "delay" is not something we LIKE to hear. But we know this week off and possibly 2 weeks off gives his poor little body a BREAK (enough already)!! Getting a week off will really help him feel a lot better and get him strong again so he can conquer round 2 of intensified consolidation.
Looking back on these last 2 months I am realizing that in just TWO months Carson has had to go through more procedures, medicines, Dr. appointments, and hospital stays, then most of us adults will have to go through in a lifetime.. To recap the last 2 months: Carson has had a central line inserted directly into his superior vena cava(heart), 4 bone marrow aspirations, 9 spinal taps, has started eight different kinds of chemotherapy>>> one in the form of a pill, two injected by a needle, one in the thigh and one directly into the spine and 5 others that are given by IV. He has had 5 red blood transfusions and 4 platelet transfusions. 3 chest x-rays, which for a 2 yr old is very scary. 1 echocardiogram to evaluate his heart before treatment and they will do one post treatment. He has stayed a total of 14 long scary nights at the hospital. And he has had 10 different visits to the Hem/Onc clinic, which 6 out of the 10 clinic visits he screamed the entire time! Ugh....that was just the first 2 months.. We still have just over 38 months to go...

Hyrum and I have both had a chance the last couple of weeks to get out with friends and family and it has been really nice. This is really hard for me lately as with the rest of my family the Fall is my favorite time of the year and each time I leave the house to enjoy this beautiful weather outside I turn around and realize I have to leave one thing behind.. a cute little 3 foot, brown eyed, cutest smile, and funniest personality, with a shaved little head Carson....and it is just kills me. . I know it won't be forever and we really can get through these next few months, but it's hard. As much as I need the breaks, it's hard to be a way from him and I think about him the entire time.

Well, this little kiddo still has a long, long, way to go, so a big thanks to everyone who continues to keep Carson in their prayers, and all the cards and phone calls with kind thoughts, it really keeps us going and means a lot to us! Thank you,

BTW- thanks Jenn for the tribute, it was very sweet. I have to say that I have the best siblings in the world-Two of my sister's took time off on their own b-days to either be with Carson or babysit Syd & Han for us. Jess brought a yummy diner for us last week(so helpful), Jamie took me to dinner and to hang out w/ friends(much needed). Liz and Steve bought Carson some new PJs and some new hats. And how cute are Jaxon & Peyton to shave their heads for Carson?! I just love them!!!

1 comment:

  1. We love Car! It kills us as well that he can't come play with Jaxon and Peyton. You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete